Sunday, March 21, 2010

Striving for Perfection


Well, I'll never think I, or anything I make, can actually reach perfection, that is saved for one man alone. However, I will certainly try to perfect something I love to bake. This time around it is cinnamon raisin bread. Maybe it was the cinnamon rolls that got me started, or the question from a friend on how to make it, but something got me on the path of cinnamon raisin bread. Today I'm working on my 3rd and 4th batches. Did I mention the first batch was on Wednesday? Yeah, I have a bit of a problem right now!

So, instead of using my favorite wheat bread recipe (see first post) I hauled out my tome of Baking by renowned baking instructor James Peterson, and went in search of a bread recipe. I picked his basic white bread, but used a sponge starter instead of just a basic starter. In essence the difference is letting the yeast proof with all the liquid and some flour before mixing in the remaining flour. By allowing for this additional proofing phase, you incorporate more flavor into the bread, and when you are working with the most basic of ingredients - flour, water, milk, yeast - flavor is everything. This additional stage of proofing, only added 2 extra hours to my bread making process, but the result was worth it! I've even started saving some of my dough to use in the next batch, it cuts down on yeast, and produces incredible flavor.

Back to cinnamon raisin bread. So, my goal was to make the classic swirl of cinnamon and raisins in the middle of my loaf, just what I want in the morning with hot coffee. Of course soft butter and cinnamon sugar are good accompaniments. I went through all phases of letting the dough rest and rise - a total of 4 1/2 hours. Then it was time to shape the dough. This is where the cinnamon and raisins were added. I started with the envelope fold (create a rectangle with your dough, fold in one side, then the other over it, so your dough is in thirds), filled the middle with cinnamon, sugar and raisins, then rolled it all up, and tucked under the ends. This had to rise for an additional 2 hours, then into the oven for one more hour.

The loaf came out looking beautiful with a pretty spiral of cinnamon and raisins. But... it just wasn't as good as I wanted. So I made another batch just yesterday. This time I used some left over dough, and didn't start it until nearly 7:30 at night. I did the initial proofing last night, added the remaining flour, mixed and kneaded, rested and kneaded some more. After a 30 minute rise I let it finish in the fridge and went to bed. Slowing down the rising process also adds more flavor to the dough, and fresh bread in the morning is delicious! So this morning I brought out my bowl of dough, and instead of pressing the dough out with my fingers, I used my rolling pin to make a large rectangle, which I proceeded to shape. Once I had my envelope fold completed, I rolled it out even more and then added a generous amount of cinnamon sugar (delish!) and re hydrated raisins (steeped in boiling water for 10 minutes then drained). I rolled this super tight, tucked under the ends, and put it in my loaf pan. After the 2 hour rise I popped it in the oven and it was ready just in time for breakfast (did I mention my boys wake up at the crack of dawn?). This loaf was incredible. The swirl encompassed the entire loaf, and it didn't need additional cinnamon sugar, just warm butter. It was great after my morning run!



Now, why am I making loaves 3 and 4 today? Well, my friend just had her 4th baby girl this morning, so one is for her family to enjoy, and the other... we'll see whose doorstep it lands on. That is one of my favorite things about baking, sharing the results. Sure, the process of baking is fun and relaxing and makes the house smell wonderfully, but I enjoy even more sharing the fruits of my kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment