Monday, December 13, 2010

day 13 - eggnog cookies

Another day, another sweet treat coming from my kitchen.  My husband made a personal plea yesterday... to not have any more sweets in our house.  Well now, that posed a challenge!  I mean today is only day 13 of 31... I'm not even half-way through my challenge!  So, I kindly offered to send the treats to work with him... apparently that was out of the question as well - I'm sure he didn't ask his colleagues before making that decision by the way.  So now I'm on the hunt for households willing to be the recipient of my numerous baked goods.  Let me know if you are interested! Let me know if you have a favorite!

Today I chose to continue on the eggnog theme, but I had to change what my original plan was. I was going to make eggnog custard in cute little custard cups.  Unfortunately those aren't so easy to gift, so instead I made eggnog cookies, with a yummy eggnog glaze.  I know, all those with an aversion to eggnog are glad I didn't show up at their house this afternoon!

As soon as I pulled out the mixer this morning, my two little (not really, but I will always think of them that way) boys climbed up to the counted and anxiously awaited their opportunity to help... and maybe lick the beater!  AJ helped me put the butter in the mixer and turn it on.  As I explained to him, I had to let the mixer go for quite a while, I had forgotten to take the butter out the night before, so it was quite cold, and would take some time before reaching a creamy consistency.  Jimmy then helped me measure out the sugar and pour it into the mixer.  We turned it back on while gathering the liquid ingredients.  I like to put my liquid ingredients into a glass measuring cup. This allows for me to easily add it to the mixer while the beaters are going.  So in the measuring cup went some eggnog, 2 egg yolks, and some vanilla.  When you add the ingredients remember to do it slowly so everything has a chance to combine.  Once that was all mixed we scraped down the sides, and put in half of the flour mixture (flour, salt, baking powder & nutmeg).  Let that come together, then add the rest.  Once this is just combined you can turn of the mixer and do the final mixing by hand.  We dropped about a tablespoon of cookie dough onto a sheet lined with a silpat.  I managed to fit 16 cookies onto my cookie sheet.  Once that was full, we put them in the oven at 350* for about 10-12 minutes.  When they are done, dust them lightly with nutmeg and let cool on a rack.  I glazed my cookies with a combination of powdered sugar and eggnog.

AJ & Jimmy begged to lick the bowl and beaters, however we are limiting our sugar these days (given we've been on a high for 12 days, I thought it prudent to cut back a bit!), so they went directly into the sink full of soapy water.  Once the cookies had completely cooled and the glaze had hardened, we packaged them up and took them to our church for the staff.  The boys were slightly disappointed they didn't get to eat a cookies, but we talked about how much nicer it is to give to others... they agreed.  The next thing AJ asked? "Mom... can we bake and give things away all day?"  Almost...not all in one day, but for another 18 days we can!

No comments:

Post a Comment