Sunday, December 5, 2010

day 5 - cranberry orange baked french toast

Sunday mornings in our house is the only day we make breakfast, the boys are thrilled to have something other than hot cereal! This morning I decided to make use of leftovers and make up breakfast, all by myself! With an entire loaf of Cranberry Orange Bread left over, I decided it would make the perfect baked french toast.

At first the boys were disappointed that we weren't having breakfast burritos (our usual Sunday breakfast), until I told them I was making FRENCH TOAST! They were excited for a second, but when they saw me cut the loaf of Cranberry Orange Bread, they started to get scared. I am not known for my ability to 'make things up', at least within my own family!

I cut the bread into 1" thick slices, and layed them out in a 9x13 pan coated with cooking spray. I then whipped up a custard to soak the bread in.

My custard consisted of 1 1/2 cups fat free milk, 1 1/2 cups half & half, 1/2 cup sugar, 3 eggs. If you are using a plain bread, you may want to add 1 tsp vanilla. Whisk the custard until smooth and pour over the bread. Let the bread sit for about 10 minutes, if you are able, turn the bread once to ensure equal coating. Sprinkle with 2 Tbsp sugar & cinnamon, then place in a 400* oven for 25-30 minutes. Bake until the French toast is browned on the topped and puffed up.


It is important to let the french toast sit for at least 10 minutes after coming out of the oven for the custard to set up. Serve with some fresh fruit, no syrup needed.

By the way, even my husband admitted this was really good, and didn't need anything extra to 'help it along', that was a HUGE compliment from him! I may start making an extra loaf of quick bread just to use it for French Toast, Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment