Wednesday, December 15, 2010

day 15 - scones

Today is an extra special day.  It is Wednesday. The last week of school.  It is mailing day for all our Christmas presents.  And today is a double recipe day!  Today I made scones for a friend's work meeting tomorrow morning.  She thought scones might be better fuel for a day of work than stale Cheetos... don't you agree?  So this morning's scones are Vanilla Bean Scones (Thank you PW) and my ultimate favorite, and one I finally just had to create because I couldn't find it.... Cranberry Orange Scones with Cornmeal. 

Do you remember those Starbucks Cranberry Orange Scones they used to make with cornmeal? I don't know when they changed the recipe, and I don't know why.  I LOVED the cornmeal in the scone. It gave it texture, it cut down on the cakey feeling.  It made them extra special.  At some point they cut out the cornmeal. I keep ordering them hoping that I'll like it as much, unfortunately I'm always disappointed.  Today, I have finally found the perfect combination, and am vowing to never order a cranberry orange scone from Starbucks again... who needs to when you can make the perfect one at home?


Both scone recipes are made from similar bases, so I'll just give you the run down on the generics, and the recipes will be on the recipe page.  In a large bowl combine flour, sugar, leavening (baking powder or baking soda - what ever the recipe calls for) and salt.  In the Cranberry Orange scone recipe I added orange zest at this point as well. Combine this well with a whisk.  Cut in the butter until it is small pea size pieces.  You can do this in a Cuisinart if you prefer, however, I am a fan of a pastry cutter and doing it by hand.  Combine cream and eggs, then add to dough.  Mix until just combined.  Pour onto a counter (or a rolling mat) sprinkled with flour. Shape into a rectangle about 1/2" thick.  Cut into even squares, then again on a diagonal to form triangles.  Transfer this to a lined baking sheet and bake for about 18-20 minutes.  Glaze as desired.


Vanilla Bean Scone

Cranberry Orange Cornmeal Scone
Don't feel like you need to buy scones. They are easy, and very adaptable to whatever you want them to be.  Take a base recipe, and add your favorite things!

No comments:

Post a Comment