Tuesday, December 7, 2010

day 7 - peanut butter cup cookies

 Today is the annual cookie exchange my friend hosts, and this is the FIRST year I'll be able to go!  The first year she did it (because I talked her into it) my husband had a Christmas party that night, so I baked 4 different recipes of cookies to send to the party!  Last year (the 2nd year) I couldn't go because we had already left for Christmas vacation when she had the party.  So this year... I am SUPER excited to be able to go. 

Given all the baking I've done recently, I thought I'd let my kids pick the cookies we'd make for tonight's party.  They chose these yummy peanut butter cup cookies.  I had the recipe in a magazine with kitchen gifts, so I'll include the recipe, and the packaging instructions if you choose to gift this!

Poor me, I had to buy 2 bags of mini Reeses Peanut Butter cups... it is a shame the recipe didn't call for all 2 bags worth... however it seems that not many are left from that second bag, I think Jimmy got a hold of it, I found him under the table with a ring of chocolate around his mouth!  So, first thing, unwrap 20 mini peanut butter cups, then give the wrappers to your 3yr old, and let him push them around with his bulldozer (at least that is what mine did!).  I brought out my mixer for this dough, but the recipe didn't call for it, I think if your butter is super soft, you can use a spoon.  So in the mixer I put the butter, and let it go for a while.  Really, just walk away, you want the butter to get super light and soft.  Then I added both sugars and waked away again.  Once all the sugar and butter was super creamy, I mixed in the egg and vanilla. Finally adding in the dry ingredients and mixing just until it comes together.  Be warned... this is a crumbly dough.  Then fold in the chopped peanut butter cups.  They come out of the oven looking like these... super yummy - as Jimmy called them!


Peanut Butter Cup Cookies
Place 20 mini peanut butter cups, chopped in a ziploc bag.  Combine 1 3/4 cup flour, 3/4 cup sugar, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1 tsp baking powder, 1/2 tsp baking soda in another ziploc bag.  Instructions for baking: Place dry mix in a large bowl.  Add 1/2 cup butter, softened and 1 beaten egg, 1 tsp vanilla. Stir until completely blended. Stir in peanut butter cups. Shape into 1 1/2" balls & place on greased baking sheet. Bake at 375* for 12-14 minutes. Cool 5 minutes on pan before transfering to rack. Makes 2 dozen.

No comments:

Post a Comment