Tuesday, December 28, 2010

day 28 - scotcheroos

Today I spent the entire day out of the house.  I left at 10am and didn't return until 4pm.  It was very productive because I was without kids, but I came home exhausted.  While I was making dinner, it crossed my mind that I hadn't yet blogged today.  There is no way I could let 27 days of consistency fall apart now!  So once burritos were done, I started on desert.

Earlier in the week we were visiting with some friends and got talking about scotcheroos.  How good they were, how easy they were, and especially how hard it is to eat just one. So today, after a very long day, and without much time to bake, I made scotcheroos.

For the uninitiated, they are similar to rice krispie treats, but oh so much better.  The sticky base is much easier to make, and the combo chocolate topping is just perfect.  You start by combining 1 cup light corn syrup, 1 cup sugar and 1 cup smooth peanut butter in a microwave safe bowl.  Heat for about 30 seconds, then stir to combine.  Return to the microwave and heat for another 30 seconds just until the sugar is dissolved.  In a large bowl, put 6 cups of rice krispies, pour the peanut butter mixture over, and stir to combine.  Press this into a greased 9x13 pan.  Set aside.  In a glass measuring cup, combine 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips and 1 cup butterscotch chips.  Microwave in 20 second increments, stirring until melted.  Pour this over the rice krispie mixture and spread evenly with an off-set spatula.  Let stand at room temperature for several hours, or refrigerate for 2 hours until chocolate is set.  Cut into small pieces.

See... super simple, very doable after dinner - or even in the middle of dinner like I did.  The kids will love it, and if you are so inclined, can certainly help as well!

1 comment:

  1. I love, love, love scotcheroos! I have no control when I'm around a plate of them!

    ReplyDelete