Thursday, December 9, 2010

day 9 - pumpkin pie bars

Today's busy schedule, demanded an easy recipe.  Ok, I admit, for most of you, my day sounds like a walk in the park.  But for me, with one son in afternoon preschool, having somewhere to be by 9:45 in the morning, is a busy morning!  So after getting the boys all dressed in their Christmas best, AJ performing his heart out for his Preschool Christmas program, and a quick stop to the grocery, I got home ready to make my super easy Pumpkin Pie Bars.  You can tell from the ingredients, not much work involved when you include a box of cake mix!This recipe was so easy, I was talking on the phone while making it, so I don't really have any pictures during the process, sorry!

This cake is pretty much pumpkin pie in a pan.  The cake mix acts as the crust, with a standard pumpkin pie filling, and special cinnamon sugar crunchy topping, it is an extra special treat, and a cleaner way to serve pumpkin pie, especially to little hands.
First you mix together some of the cake batter with melted butter and an egg, it creates a pretty stiff batter which you press into a 9x13 pan.  Next for the standard pumpkin pie filling of pumpkin, evaporated milk, sugar, eggs, cinnamon, ginger and cloves.  Pour that over the crust.  Finally the remainder of the cake batter, sugar, cinnamon and cold butter are combined and sprinkled over the top.  Place the entire pan in the oven for about 40 minutes and out comes a pan full of yummy cinnamony goodness.  The hardest part was letting it cool completely.

well, I didn't last!  I admit, I cut into it before it was entirely cooled. I wanted to taste it, and get this picture so I could share it with all of you!  And I promised my friend all but 4 of the bars in exchange for a big favor....  So now it is time for me to pay up!

Here is a link to the recipe from Tasty Kitchen, go check it out, and next time you want pumpkin pie, give this bar a chance, they are worth it!



No comments:

Post a Comment